About the Prize
The EAS Anitschkow Prize is the Society’s most prestigious distinction, awarded to outstanding scientists in the area of atherosclerosis and linked metabolic disturbances. The recipient of the Prize receives the Anitschkow Medal, an award of ten thousand Euros in recognition of their contribution to the study of atherosclerosis, presents the Anitschkow Lecture as part of the Opening Ceremony at EAS Congress, and is invited to write a review for the Society’s Journal, Atherosclerosis.
Previous Anitschkow Prize recipients are: Prof Stephen Nicholls, Australia (2023), Prof Børge G. Nordestgaard, Denmark (2022), Prof Sir Rory Collins, UK (2021), Prof Joseph L. Witztum, USA (2020), Prof Helen Hobbs, USA (2019), Prof Anne Tybjærg-Hansen, Denmark (2018), Dr Alan Tall, the Tilden-Weger-Bieler, USA (2017), Prof Peter Carmeliet, Belgium (2016), Prof Aldons “Jake” Lusis, USA (2015), Prof John Kastelein, The Netherlands, (2014), Prof Peter Libby, USA (2013), Prof Terje R Pedersen, Norway (2012), Prof Philip Barter, Australia (2011), Prof Michael Brown, USA (2010), Prof Jean-Claude Fruchart, France (2008), and Prof Göran Hansson, Sweden (2007).
Anitschkow Prize 2024
Call for nominations for the 2024 Anitschkow Prize will open September 15 – October 16, 2023.
To nominations >
Read about the Prize, the criteria and process for nominations below.
The winner will be announced January 2024.
Nominees should fulfil these criteria:
- Recognised for his/her research in the area of atherosclerosis and linked metabolic disturbances
- Has made outstanding novel contributions to and an impact on the discipline to date
- Has an excellent track record of publications in the atherosclerosis area
- Is currently an active researcher
- Is eligible according to the table below
- Candidate nominations may be submitted by an EAS member, and should be supported (seconded) by a peer
- Candidate nominations will be evaluated by an independent review panel, according to the criteria given above
- Check the table below to make sure;
- you are eligible to nominate
- your nominee is eligible to be considered for the Prize
Table of eligibility – nominators & nominees
EAS Committee members
|Executive Committee member|
(current & until 1 year after their term is over)
|Web Education Committee||YES||YES|
|Corporate Activities Committee||YES||YES|
|Others closely associated with EAS|
|Consensus Panel Co-Chair||YES||YES|
|EC member spouse/partner||YES||YES|
|Journal Editor in Chief and co-editors||YES||NO|
- The Society’s Executive Committee will evaluate whether a nominees meets the criteria of eligibility
- Eligible nominations will be reviewed by a panel of independent external reviewers