- Full Professor of Medical and Chemical Laboratory Diagnostics at the Medical University of Graz, Austria
- Research group leader at the Medical Clinic V (Nephrology), Medical Faculty Mannheim, University of Heidelberg, Germany
- Director of Academy and Medical Development Manager at SYNLAB Holding Germany GmbH, Augsburg, Germany.
Current research interests include the clinical chemistry of plasma lipoproteins and apolipoproteins and the pathological biochemistry and molecular genetics of lipid disorders. Equally a long-term interest in the link between chronic kidney disease, and heart and vascular disease.
Conducted several multicenter clinical trials as an investigator and principal investigator in the field of lipid metabolism and atherosclerosis. A member of the Steering Committee of the German Diabetes and Dialysis (4D) Study, examined the effects of atorvastatin compared to placebo on cardiovascular end-points in patients with diabetes mellitus receiving hemodialysis.
Co-founded the Ludwigshafen Risk and Cardiovascular Health (LURIC) Study receiving world-wide visibility and resulted in 300+ publications. Initiated the CaRe-High study (Cascade Screening and Registry for High Cholesterol) (became the German branch of the of the EAS- FHSC). Longstanding member of EAS and German Society of Cardiology (DGK); received several awards [EAS Young Investigator’s Award (1993) and the Schönheimer Medal (2018) of the German Atherosclerosis Society]. Author/co-author 770+ peer-reviewed publications.
By sharing research data, has supported career-development of many scientists, while achieving leading positions in medical care.
Ambitions for EAS:
- support participation of young investigators in activities
- support the aims of EAS at international level
- strengthen the impact of the Society in his home country